Thursday, April 27, 2006

Farewell Linda...

Last night I officiated at a memorial service for friends and family of My Aunt Linda at the Groynes Park. It was dark, it was raining, but we lit candles to remember the light that she was among us.

We light a candle for those we mourn.
Into a new life they will be born.
Do not look for them at the gravesite.
They are somewhere else radiating their beautiful light.
They have gone to a new world where there is no darkness, no pain.
Their light and essence will always remain.
Light a candle for those who have left this mortal place.
They are free to travel through time and space.
When we think of them, they are near.
When we sit in a beautiful garden. Their voices we hear.
When we listen to a divine symphony,
We close our eyes, their faces we see.
Light a candle for they have not really gone.
With each flickering flame, in your hearts they will always belong.

As a farewell response we released balloons into the night as we said farewell, to the sound of Celine Dion, "My Heart will go on."

There was only a handful of the friends and family here for the service, next year, according to Linda's wish, all the family will travel to Rotorua and sprinkle her ashes over lake Rotorua.

I thought it was a very difficult service under difficult circumstances, but those who were there felt they had a good opportunity to share and reflect on the memories of Linda.

It was the families wish that there was no "Religion" at the service. This is difficult, particularly since the officiator is a minister. God was there. He came of his own accord.

When I am gone, release me, let me go
I have so many things to see and do
You must not tie yourself to me with tears
Be happy that I have had such good years

I gave you my love, you can only guess
How much you gave me in happiness
I thankyou for the love each have shown
But now it is time I traveled on alone

So grieve a while for me, if grieve you must
Then let your grief be comforted by trust
It is only for a while that we must part
So bless the memories in your heart

I will not be far away, for life goes on
So if you need me, call and I will come
Though you cannot see or touch me, I will be near
And if you listen with your heart, you will hear
All of my love around you soft and clear

Then, when you must come this way alone
I will greet you with a smile and a
Welcome Home.


Linda Christine McCormick, 4th August, 1955 - 12th April 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home