Monday, October 03, 2005

Superhero's... I think!

For those who didn't make the Superhero's party on the 24th, here were four of the more likely superhero's, from back right, Wonder Woman, G.I. Elvis, Sunshine Girl and Quail Man!



We had between 30 and 40 people there throught the evening, the last of them left at about 12am which seemed a reasonable hour for Wonder Woman to retire for the evening!

Some other Superhero's (I need to call them Superhero's and not just Hero's because that may have different connotations in today's society!) were PVC Girl, one of the Incredibles, A samurai Warrior (Complete with Swords!) Robin, the Boy Wonder and Glutious Maximus, a Roman centurion.

There was a sense of disappointment with which many of the Party-goers lack of participation in the dress up though. I wonder if it's a Christian thing? That for many Christians, a party means turn up, sit in the lounge and complain the music is too loud? (I had my way with some of the music and we got to hear some good old fashioned ROCK, but most of it was "Nice, Safe music.")

If you were invited to a Fancy Dress Party, would you turn up just in plain clothes? Before I became a Christian, it was unheard of to turn up to a fancy dress party without a good attempt at a costume. Perhaps I have too different an expectation on Christian fun? Maybe it's no wonder I would rather go to a "Non-Christian" party than a "Christian" one. Have we, who were once called the "Light of the World" forgotten how to party? Or do I just need to change my expectations?

7 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Just because you're a Christian doesn't mean you can be a little crazy.

7:59 am  
Blogger Rayd said...

i think it depends on the age of people at the party. Most of the fancy dress parties you used to go to would have been people of similar age to you (im assuming), the same generation, but because christians are fewer in numbers the age differences increase significantly to have the same turn out for a party and thus you end up with many generations of people some of which dont approve of fully grown mean wearing wonderwoman's underwear in public.

7:02 pm  
Blogger Andrew said...

Whoops, I meant to say

"Just because you're a Christian doesn't mean you can't be a little crazy"

8:39 am  
Blogger anne said...

I think it kinda depends on the people I grew up with a group of Christian friends who had dress up partys all the time and 99% of peoples dressed up (even shyish people)I guess it was the expected thing/tradition you knew everyone would be dressed up, it was a safe place to make a fool of yourself!

9:09 am  
Blogger Andrew said...

I hope you waxed your legs Jason. Nothing worse than having a hairey legged Wonder Woman

9:39 am  
Blogger Jason said...

There may be a few surprises in store yet...

10:33 am  
Blogger Warwick Tomlinson said...

I always have a dislike of the term becoming a Christian, it sounds as if i did something when in fact i didnt, but to your point, I don't think people change that much do they? I know i didnt, I just don't drink or swear the way i used to.
I do, however think that some people who become Christians think that doing that means that they lose their 'fun-factor' and i think thats wrong.
God gave us a sense of humor for a reson, after all do we really think that God doesn't have a good laugh at us?

10:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home