Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Annoyed...

I am annoyed.

If you're still to see the movie "I am Legend" perhaps you might want to stop reading here lest you read something which spoils your view of the movie.


I'm annoyed because i feel that after being drawn into this incredible story with some very engaging acting i have been left hanging with what i see as a story without an end.

Now i realize that good stories without ends allow the reader/viewer to think and explore their possibilities, bit IAL seems to have brought us along this extremely emotional journey and then seems to dump us like some second rate consumer about 2 minutes before the end in order to continue the journey with some character who appears out of nowhere, like some poor attempt at a prophet, who moves us into this happy ending scenario while our hearts are still hanging in shock from the death of Dr Robert Neville (Will Smith) whom we had invested so much emotional energy into.

Bob Marley was brought into the movie as a theme of hope and love, but this was never realized unless Neville's sacrifice at the end was meant to tie this in?

There was so much potential for a great journey into the character of the "alpha" zombie who seemed to have quite a sense of intelligence, but this was sadly lacking.

The death of the dog was as predictable as the Black Caps routing of the Bangladesh cricketers. Even so, this gripped me and drew me into the sorrow and heartache which worked well for the story (even though it was hard to take). Smith played the grieving friend very well.

2 minutes from the end the movie was hanging at high 8's, but with that last couple of minutes, my rating dropped to a very luck 6/10.

I am annoyed.

They had me right there in the palm of their hands, there was potential for an amazing story conclusion/twist/dramatic conclusion ANYTHING!, but I didn't even subtly slip through their fingers, i felt i was unceremoniously "dumped" like some ex-boyfriend without even a casual thought for letting me down easy.

I am sorry Dr Robert Neville, you have been shafted, you have been betrayed, all your hard work and the wonderful character we have bonded with (because how many of us feel all alone and frightened for either ourselves of those closest to us as one time or another...) has been hung out to dry by unimaginative storytellers and short sighted writers.

I am not Legend, I am annoyed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home