Thursday, August 17, 2006

Congrads Burnside.

Burnside capped off a good year in the Christchurch Metro Club competition by wining the Telecom Trophy over the weekend.


Most of these players I played against last year. We were sharing earlier tonight about one of our "toys" we are passionate about. This is mine.

As I shared tonight, I wore this boot for the last time last year against Linwood at Middleton Park. It still has the mud on it from the game. I played for 6 minutes of the game. The second scrum of the game collapsed and I had to leave the field because my back had given in. I have never been able to play rugby since and will never be able to play again.

There is quite a hole in my existence at present. It may seem silly to some, but the first game of rugby I ever played was in 1982 at Middleton Park and I have played every year since. It seems a little strange on Saturdays. Saturdays were always Rugby Days. I miss the companionship and rush of running onto the field, the physicallity of hitting a front row, the legalized violence of rucking, the gracefulness of lineouts, the challenge of getting enough oxygen into the brain to hold consciousness for 80 minutes. I may not have been the most talented player and sometimes regret not putting more effort into my game, but I really felt at home, both on and off the paddock.

It feels like saying goodbye to a longtime friend, someone you know you will never see again.

Yes, you could say it was a passion.

One I really miss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home