Monday, January 23, 2006

One year on...

One year ago today I was inducted into ministry at Opawa Baptist Church as the Community Development Pastor in the morning service, followed by a BBQ and me planting a tree.

One year on... some reflections.

The tree hasn't grown much, but I have.

You can't forsee everything.

I can either be completely confident in my ministry, or I can work with God, haven't managet to do both yet?

God can still minister despite my failings

I can get easily sidetracked

I need to enjoy the journey as much as arriving at the desired result.

I don't know everything

It's a lot harder to do the right thing.

Reading is important!

I need to value my opinion more

There is a difference between a "job" and a "calling"

Sometimes people are not so much interested in your theological perspective on a matter as they are in hearing you say, "Hey, your doin all right."

Being a minister doesn't make you infallable

My insecurities need to be seen more through God's acceptance.

I don't have to agree with someone to love and respect them

Just because I don't agree with someone, doesn't make them wrong.

And in the immortal words of Caren Carpenter, "We've only just begun..."


3 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Congratulations Jas. It's great to have you at Opawa.

ps I love the carpenters!

5:42 pm  
Blogger Rayd said...

hey, you're doing alright.
if you're doing something wrong i haven't noticed.
and i echo Amy's words. Love having you as a part of Opawa!

8:06 pm  
Blogger ElizabethB said...

Maybe only just begun but it has been a great beginning. You are a good man Jas and I am always glad to see you around. I have never seen you to be superficial and that is a really special quality to observe in someone; to me it means you are trustworthy. Hang in there.

2:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home